Happy International Women’s Day everyone! This might just be my favorite national holiday. There’s really something special about seeing women support other women and recognize them for all that they accomplish.
Today, I’d like to give a nod to 10 women who have inspired me not only in my career ambitions, but in my personal life. These 10 quotes have resonated deeply with me and I’d like to share them with you:
1. “When the whole world is silent, even one voice becomes powerful.” – Malala Yousafza
Malala Yousafza survived a gunshot in the head, became an activist for female education and went on to become the youngest recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize.
2. “You can waste your lives drawing lines. Or you can live your life crossing them.” – Shonda Rhimes
Shonda Rhimes is a TV producer, screenwriter, and author. She is best known as the creator/executive producer of Grey’s Anatomy, Private Practice, Scandal, a How to Get Away with Murder.
3. “You can never leave footprints that last if you are always walking on tiptoe.” – Leymah Gbowee
Leymah Gbowee is a peace activist from Libera, who lead a women’s peace the Women of Liberia Mass Action for Peace that helped bring an end to the Second Liberian Civil War in 2003.
4. “I firmly believe you never should spend your time being the former anything.” – Condoleezza Rice
Condoleezza Rice was the 66th US Secretary of State and is now a American diplomat.
5. “I have stood on a mountain of no’s for one yes.” – B. Smith
B. Smith is ever the entrepreneur, and is a successful restaurateur, model, author, and television host
6. The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity.” – Amelia Earhart
Amelia Earhart was the first woman to fly solo across the Atlantic Ocean.
7. “What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make.” – Jane Goodall
Jane Goodall is considered the world’s leading expert on chimpanzees and is known for her work in conservation and animal welfare.
8. “Spread love everywhere you go. Let no one ever come to you without leaving happier.” – Mother Teresa
Mother Teresa became a Saint in the Catholic Church years after her death in 1997. She is known for her charity work.
9. “Above all, be the heroine of your life, not the victim.” – Nora Ephron
Nora is a filmmaker and writer, best known for When Harry Met Sally and Sleepless in Seattle.
and my personal favorite…
10. “I hope the fathers and mothers of little girls will look at them and say ‘yes, women can.’” – Dilma Rousseff
Dilma was the 36th president of Brazil, from 2011-2016.
So Happy International Women’s Day, future movers and shakers. Head to @20selfish on Twitter for more.